Sunday, November 25, 2012

Discussion Questions-1st quarter-Victoria Tucker


1. What do you think happened to Melinda and her old "clan" before high school that changed everything between them all?

Maybe some drama had happened, targeting Melinda. Also, it talks about in the book that Mel called the police on Kyle Rodger's party at the end of the summer, so maybe they could be mad at her because of that and turned on her.

2. Do you picture the school Melinda attends is similar to Sir Wilfrid Laurier?

I do not picture the school Melinda attends similar to Sir Wilfred Laurier. There are one or two things. As in no matter what school you go to there will be people who aren't always nice, snobby ignorant or rude, which is similar to a few at Sir Wil and the students at Merryweather High.

3. In your opinion, why do you think it's so tough for Melinda to make new friends once in high school?

I think that her reputation was ruined by calling the police at that party during the summer, maybe the person who threw the party was popular and everyone found out about it. It could also just be because people are very judgemental about how Melinda looks and dresses and seems like. Also could have to do with her lack with confidence in herself, it could discourage her with being social and wanting to try new things and meet new people.

4. Why is Mel putting such an effort in the washroom with Rachel/Rachelle when they are no longer friends and she knows Rachel/Rachelle doesn't like her?

I think Mel put that much of an effort even though Rachel was being very ignorant and making it quite obvious that she wanted nothing to do with her because maybe she wanted to find out why exactly she hates her. Also she could've just wanted to be the bigger person and be friendly but then again we don't have a definite answer.

5. Do you think that the tense relationship Melinda has with her parents is affecting her self confidence and lack of making friends?

I think it does affect Melinda. I think it affects her because your family is supposed to be the closest people to you, the people you go to for advice, the people who will always have your back and they're the people who matter most in your life. I find if you have a bad relationship with your family it makes it tougher on you because you feel like you have no one to really talk to or just in general have nobody. Maybe that's how she feels, and maybe that's why her confidence isn't too high and she is having issues making friends at her school.

6. Someone at the pep rally talks about how Mel called the cops on Kyle Rodger's party at the end of the summer, why do you think she did?

There could be many reasons why Melinda would call the police at the party. She could have been in trouble or see something go on that wasn't right so she could have gotten scared and resorted to that. She could have been mad at somebody for saying something or doing something for her so that she called the police to ruin all their fun. The list could go on and on but those are the two reasons I think are most likely true in that situation.

7. Now that Heather has found other friends to hang around with at school, do you think she'll ditch Mel or they will become more distant quickly?

I think there is a chance for Heather to do so. Why, is because I think Heather will try to fit in and just to have friends she will go to drastic measures to please them. For example dressing a certain way or similar to what they wear, pushing people out of her life if the new friends don't like her (for example Melinda), and changing her personality completely to please them. I really hope she doesn't because I think Melinda wouldn't do the same with her, but who knows I guess we will just have to wait and find out.

8. Who do you think "IT" is?

I think "IT" is a person who Melinda may or may not know too well. The character sounds like someone who is frightening, someone that has a connection to Melinda but nobody knows but the two of them. I think we will be hearing a lot about this "IT" character because it seems to have impacted Melinda a lot, or at least made her very angry and agitated.

 
 
-Victoria Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment