I really like the book Speak. I feel like I can relate really well to Melinda. A couple of years ago I was outcast and had pretty much no friends all because of one mistake. It wasn't as bad as Melinda but I still understand how she felt entering high school with no friends because I had to pretty much do the same. It was hard at first but eventually it got easier and I learned not to care. I feel like the reason Melinda doesn’t try to make friends or join any of the cliques is because she’s either scared of rejection or thinks she’s better off alone without them. I felt like that and became kind of a loner like Melinda.
When I read the part of the book where it’s the pep rally and the girls were confronting Melinda, I got really mad. I was mostly mad at the fact that Heather didn’t stand up for Melinda. If I was there I would’ve probably told off the girls or done something to help Melinda. I know what it feels like to be confronted by older girls and it can be intimidating when you know you have no one on your side or backing you up.
I don’t like Heather. I feel as if she would ditch Melinda as soon as someone better comes along. She also would do anything to be popular or accepted and I find that to be very shallow and fake. I think she is only using Melinda as a friend so she has someone and isn’t totally friendless.
I’m really curious about what happened the night of the party and about “IT”. I’m also curious about why her old friends didn’t ask her about what happened in her own words. If something happened to one of my friends I wouldn’t jump to conclusions or believe any rumours unless they were confirmed by my friend. Either way, I don’t think her old friends deserve her friendship again and I feel like Melinda is better off without them because they don’t seem to really care about her enough to wonder what really went on at the party or to be her friend when she clearly has no one else.
-Monica Bell
No comments:
Post a Comment