Thursday, November 29, 2012

Journal Entry #1 - Sarah Izzard


The first section of the book Speak was very interesting to me. Melinda’s character really gets me because so many people are bullied and no one does anything about it. I feel like I can relate to people because I have been socially outcast and bullied before. It wasn’t to the same extent but it’s helping me connect to the book and I’m really enjoying it. I really want to know what happened at the party and why everyone hates her so much. She seems like a nice person who’s just sad and lonely I don’t see how an entire school could hate her so much. Her friend Heather doesn’t seem like she likes her very much either and she just moved there. She doesn’t appear to be a good friend to Melinda and I have a feeling that things won’t end well between them. Her old group of friends won’t so much as look at her so what happened in the summer at the party for things to change so drastically must have been pretty dramatic.
The way the book is written leaves a lot of un-answered questions at this point and I really want to continue reading to find out what happens next. I really want to know who “IT” is. Melinda really doesn’t seem to like this person and I think that they might play into why everyone dislikes her. Maybe “IT” did something or said something to her at the party to make her call the cops. It doesn’t make sense that the only reason she is disliked is because she called the police to the party so something more must have happened that night that no one else really knows about. Hopefully we find out soon because I can’t wait to find out what happens next.

-Sarah Izzard

1 comment:

  1. I think most people can relate to this book as well as us because as you said so many people get bullied. I think while reading most of this book we were all wondering what happened at the party and who was it. Was the answer to those questions what everyone expected or was it completely different? For me I kind of figured it was something like that but wasn't sure whether he beat her up or raped her.
    -Monica

    ReplyDelete