Reading the second quarter we got a lot more into the book, a lot more details were given about everything that was said at the first quarter. We found out more about Melinda, Heather, and all the others that were spoken about.
When it was said about Melinda going into the closet in the school, and she said how she covered the large mirror with a poster of Maya Angelou, it really showed how much herself esteem is lower than most. She made the closet to her own liking, she cleaned it up a little, mopped the floor. She’s making it her own little place to have, to stay when she needs, for her to calm down, and to clear her head and be by herself... the way she likes it.
When David Petrakis, Melindas lab partner stood up in front of the class and Mr. Neck, and was standing up for the brave student who spoke before, I felt very proud of him. He was right with what he was saying, that every student has the right to say what they have on their mind and that is true.
I was very surprised to read that Melinda and her parents aren't very into Thanksgiving. They celebrate it and her mom cooks a dinner, but in most families, especially mine we go all out. We like to make it our own, we all dress up nice, have a big family dinner and have a big turkey with potatoes and desert and its all delicious. But with Melindas family, her mother rushes to make the turkey last minute and that's the only really special part of their Thanksgiving. Once Melinda has to help to make the dinner, and it doesn't go too well, her dad doesn't even try to help her they just both give into ordering pizza. Doesn't sound like a very traditional Thanksgiving to me.
I found it very cute when Melinda and Heather both got each other gifts for Christmas. I mean, Melinda wasn’t going to bother to get one until she got Heathers gift, but maybe that was only because she didn’t think Heather cared about her that much to do so.
I don’t understand why her school can’t just come up with a new name and mascot for their school. I mean, it really isn’t that hard. It only takes a little thought and effort, and maybe asking the students for their opinion was the wrong idea because the votes are going to be all over the place. They might as well just make it up themselves and have the students deal with it.
You wouldn’t have expected Melinda to do so well with basketball. You’d figure, the way she describes herself and she way she thinks and acts, that she’d never be the athletic type. But then again, she’s only good at basketball, at least from what we know about her so far.
When Heather had a modeling job, and Melinda was asked to put up the posters she made for Heather, She encounters “IT”. We’ve found out more information about him, finally. We had to wait until the end of the second quarter to found out, I was anxious the whole time. While Melinda is putting up the posters around the school “IT” walks up to her “Freshmeat.”. I wonder if he remembers what he did to her. I wonder what even happened with him and her. Hopefully we’ll find out in the next quarter.
-Victoria Tucker
Now that I think of it, I think the author put David standing up to Mr. Neck for more than one reason. David told him that everyone has a right to speak their mind yet Melinda feels as though she can't and I found that ironic. I agree with the whole mascot thing I just find it annoying but I think it also shows how almost messed up and dysfunctional her school is.
ReplyDelete-Monica