DEPRESSED. RAPED. SCARED. ALONE. Our thoughts, questions and opinions on the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Review Response -Tina Mahdavi
I don't agree with the rating this person gave. I feel like the book was way better than a "B" to be honest I'd give this book at least an "A-" I thought it was really really good, like I couldn't get enough. I wish there was a sequel to it. I agree with what she put as the moral/message of the book. Many students do end up hating their high school experience because they get bullied, and don't speak up for themselves ruining what could be the greatest 4 years of your life. I agree when she says that from the first section of the book she couldn't stop reading it. I don't usually read books because I get very bored with it within the first few chapters, but when I began reading this book i was actually very fascinated because it's about a teenagers experience in high school and I feel like most of us could relate to some of the things Melinda went through. Maybe not rape exactly but other situations she had to overcome such as losing friends, failing classes and much more. The review said it was written in a child like and immature way, but I thought that it was better like that. I like how the book didn't have chapters. Although it was harder to find where I last finished reading, I feel like the narrator made it seem it was sort of like Melinda writing it. If that makes sense. Overall I think the review gave a low rating for the book. It deserved a much higher rating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely agree with you that the rating should be changed, this book is too good for a B! She should definitely make a sequel, something to answer the last un-answered questions and so that everyone can see if Melinda's has turned out alright since her secret got out. The way it was written definitely made the book a lot more interesting so I disagree with the reviewer on that point too.
ReplyDelete-Sarah Izzard